The following is an open letter to the School Board and the Superintendent of San Diego Unified School District which is currently faced with the challenge of budget cuts.  The letter calls for bold leadership in decision making processes with an eye toward creating opportunity for students to become engaged members of society and future problem solvers.  The letter argues the arts and physical education are essential to an education for an engaged citizenry.

March 24, 2009

Dear School Board members and Superintendent Grier,

Opportunity is knocking loudly at your door, and you have the power to revolutionize education. No doubt these are truly tough times with regard to funding. At the same time, a significant transition is at our doorstep. In a recent editorial in the Union Tribune, County Superintendent Randy Ward called for flexibility in school funding. He is absolutely spot-on. Since the National Defense Education Act of 1958 (NDEA) (Public Law 85-864) put federal dollars toward discipline specific curriculum (science and math), and more recently the No Child Left Behind legislation which unintentionally emphasizes reading and math (because they are tested and test scores are tied to funding), educational priorities have shifted from preparing a knowledgeable and informed citizenry to an emphasis on student achievement.

It is no secret that our society desperately needs innovative and creative problem solvers. Educational leaders must respond to this need with bold initiatives which emphasize the teaching of innovation, community, and creativity along with discipline specific achievement. Education in all cultures has mirrored the needs of societies. I suggest we revolutionize education in the true sense, by returning to some of the core values upon which education in the US was created. For example, when Music was first introduced to the public schools in 1837, it was in concert with the overall goal of education of the time and it was aimed at educating children intellectually, morally, and physically.

The arts and physical education as part of the core curriculum help prepare our children to be engaged citizens. They teach teamwork, problem solving, decision making, and compassion. Yet, despite the empirical data that shows how arts in particular improve test scores, improve daily attendance, and enhance the quality of community in schools, the arts have become, like physical education, an appendage to education rather than a core subject as originally intended. According to state statistics, there are over 500,000 jobs in the arts in the state of California alone. To put that figure into perspective, if every single student and faculty member on all the 23 campuses California State University system (the largest university system in the world) were to have one of those arts jobs, we would still have 50,000 jobs unfilled. Sadly, many of these jobs go to individuals from outside of California since the schools are not preparing this particular workforce.

Be bold. Ask yourself, what are the goals of educating today’s students? Are we putting into place the curriculum that prepares students for living in our challenging times? Are we preparing students to become part of the California workforce? This is your opportunity to question and review educational values and goals. Our children deserve the best education possible – and more so, they deserve leaders who are willing and eager to make a difference, and if need be, buck the limitations of recent traditions and practice.

Sincerely,

Merryl Goldberg, Ed.D.

Professor of Visual and Performing Arts at California State University and Director of Center ARTES

About the Author
Merryl Goldberg is a Professor of Visual and Performing Arts at California State University San Marcos (CSUSM) where she teaches courses on Arts & Learning, and Music. She has numerous publications including books, articles, chapters, and editorials. She is the recipient of many grants including a joint Spencer and John D. and Catherine T. MacArthur grant, Fulbright-Hays Foundation grants, and California Arts Council grants relating to her work with arts in the schools.  Prior to entering academia, she was on the road for 13 years playing the saxophone and making recordings with the Klezmer Conservatory Band.

36 Responses to “Open Letter to San Diego School District”

1. Craig Mason says:

This is absolutely wonderful. It will be an excellent model for all who are fighting the good fight.

2. Dan Zisko says:

I’m glad to see that there are those who will stand up for Arts Education. Some of the best life lessons I learned was in my high school music and drama classes. I think it’s a crime to cut these these types of classes in favor of sports and whatnot (and I can only assume this will happen….how often do you see a high school in San Diego without a football program?)

3. Christy says:

Personally, our music program has been growing by leaps and bounds. We are doing with a lot of homemade props and costumes for our annual musical, which is keeping us below our budget (allowing us to buy much needed music for our band and choir)! Sometimes sending out an email to parents gets a better response than hoping someone will answer. I’ve asked for and received quite a few of our props just by sending out emails to parents with a list of things that we could “borrow” instead of buy!

4. Cat Ransom says:

If we are concerned about children’s exposure to and participation in the arts in troubled economic times, we need to get more creative about creating free art. I recently learned about the wonderful “Parade of the Species” which several towns in Washington celebrate each year. Everyone makes costumes and whole families walk together. An art studio is opened for everyone to prepare their costumes but it wouldn’t even have to be that complicated. The hardest part is organizing; getting permits, getting the word out. But the children love it. I’m sure you are aware of many more examples. But let’s make art the priority, not fund raising. When people see the joy of the children involved, as well as their focus–a valuable thing in our over-stimulated world–they will see the value. Then the money will come. I guess I’m describing paying it forward with art. Good luck with your summit. regards, c. ransom

5. Ben Vos says:

In my experience, an “art show” can be a great way to do school-based fundraising, and draw attention to the arts. Parents, neighbors, and family members can see the value of arts in education programs and make an investment in their kids’ future.

Even in a recession, communities value the education of their children. The use of professional teaching artists can create a lot of synergy between the professional arts community and the values of that community.

One potential drawback is that the freedom of the artist can be limited by the judgment or criticism of the community. But as long as artists are ready and willing to receive and respond to the critics, and still willing to be creative and “weird,” this shouldn’t be a problem.

6. Ben Vos says:

Just FYI – Tennessee has done some great work with public-private partnerships. More info at http://www.tpac.org/education/

7. I am a freelance artist (illustrator; graphic and web designer) and have been working with the local museum here in order to facilitate classes that aren’t offered at the schools.

One of the things I have developed is a way for book/paper arts to be incorporated in the classroom when art classes may not be available or as a supplement to enrich the class. I am finalizing the documentation and would be happy to share it; I am thinking of possibly writing a small book on it. I am teaching a workshop for educators at the Appleton Museum of Art on May 16th here in Ocala, Florida.

I homeschool my daughter but am very concerned about the recent cuts and propositions here in Florida. Art and music are SO important and have effects that carry over into all parts of a person’s life. To cut that is like throwing away a vital part of your soul, an integral part of what makes us human, the power of creation and play.

I think what you are doing is wonderful and I look forward to hearing how the summit went. Good luck! We are all with you.

PS – If you haven’t seen it, there is an excellent talk on Play that I think is relevant: http://www.ted.com/index.php/talks/stuart_brown_says_play_is_more_than_fun_it_s_vital.html

8. Frana Baruch says:

FLEXcon – Global Leader in Pressure-Sensitive, Adhesive-
    Coated Films and Papers for Labels and Bar-c
    Source: http://www.Flexcon.com

Recycled Materials from Factories – or whatever!

A huge Label Manufacturer – they also do all kinds of reflective material and tape and mylar and acetate and road sign material – amazing… they have a part of the factory where you sign in and there is a man that explains what all the materials are and crafts you can make; and loads your car up with as much stuff as you can take!!!!! Free!!!! That is how they get rid of their overs! I love this Green Mentality!

they make it a business policy to donate their “overs” to schools, etc.

Huge Find!!!!

9. Brianna Smith says:

As a theatre teacher I find that the recession has offered a unique opportunity to teach students about ecologically friendly theatre. When we have very little, we can take the opportunity to get creative in the ways in which we re-use our materials. If we build our pieces in such a way that they can be taken apart or reused, we spend less and consume more. What a great lesson for our students. It also forces them to get more creative with fewer resources, recycled resources and cheaper resources. Buying rechargeable batteries, larger quantities of supplies, etcetera, saves money in the long run.

Another idea is asking students to write their own plays. This requires them to put more of themselves into shows. They must take into consideration what is available to them for costumes and set, and costs nothing for rights.

10. Nichole Cooper says:

Last year, I was in the process of changing jobs and had several weeks of vacation time that had gone unused. A friend of mine was a school teacher and suggested that I could use some of that vacation time to volunteer in his kindergarten classroom. On my first day, the teacher asked me to spend some time with a few of the students who were a little behind the rest of the class on their reading and letter recognition skills. I loved the experience so much that I checked with my new job, and they were kind enough to allow me to change my work week to a Tuesday through Saturday schedule, and for the next six months through the end
    of the school year, I spent my Mondays in that classroom. At first, I mainly did have copier/lesson preparation duties. But the teacher always gave me some project to help me feel directly connected with
    the students.

In February, he asked me if I would be willing to start preparing an art project every Monday for the class. Within my first hours of creating an age-appropriate project and buying the materials, I was completely hooked and knew this was something I would be happy to do every day for the rest of my life. The excitement of the students when I’d arrive in their room every Monday was the best feeling I’ve ever experienced, and watching how much fun they’d have trying to guess the project I’d brought in and then how much fun they’d have with the actual project itself … it just can’t be put into words.

Needless to say, the time I spent volunteering stands out in my mind as the highlight of my life. The difference I felt like I was able to make to a public school, an overworked teacher, an amazing classroom
    and each individual student simply by contributing a few hours every week … this is something far more Americans should have an opportunity to experience. The need within each school for an extra set of hands is so great that I believe there must be a way to start
    an official “arts in education” volunteer program, wherein those who do have some time off from work (or maybe who are between jobs and looking for ways to fill the time and feel good about themselves and their abilities) could be assigned to a particular school and classroom in their community. There must be some
    way to get the word out that there are hundreds of children who would benefit in countless ways from a little extra time and attention — not just through after-school programs, but actually on their “home turf” of the classroom itself. If we want people to understand the
    importance of keeping arts in education, then let’s actually let them become a part of the education system. Give people a way to become invested, even if they don’t have children of their own. I can’t imagine there would remain a single person unmoved or unchanged by the experience.

11. Linda says:

Thanks for the email. I would love to volunteer for anything in the schools, but it seems that schools up north don’t rely on volunteering like they do in south Florida. Nevertheless, I wouldn’t mind donating monies to art, music, etc. I literally toss the fund raising garbage in the trash. Who wants an $18 pizza or $10 gift wrap? NOT ME! I’d rather send cash to the school as a donation. How about a supply fund raiser since I know each school district has different parameters for teaching guidelines that they must follow. I’d love to know where that $184 registration fee goes to. Maybe the arts could glean some of that cash. At almost $200 per kid, where’ s lump of cash going? Thanks again for you emails. Continue the good work!

12. Al Hammond says:

John, Thanks for all you do. It is peope such as you, Bob Morrison, and the like that will keep the arts programs going for our future generations

13. Ann Marie Hathaway says:

There is a certain excitement in the air as I roll
    the cart into the class room, projector and
    art materials tipping over the sides of
    classroom on wheels. Kids scramble to their
    seats, hush, and huge eyes on me as I tell
    them that today they will get to do some art in the class. The old slide projector has three volunteers just to plug it in, and 4 more volunteer to pull down the window shades as the classroom teacher lowers the movie screen.
    What happens after that is a 10 -12 siide show
    with a lecture on a certain artst from Matisse to
    O’keefe, we have covered many in the year.
    They get about 30 minutes following to paint
    or pastel, and finish the project. The proudly
    pin their art to the bulletin bord in the hall or take it home, with this little piece of art and
    a little bit of history on who were the great artist in our world.
    This is the reaction, over and over, every Month
    in every school, every class room that I have ever volunteered in Art Lit.
    Something needs to change in our system and so that these kids get the opportunity to get excited about Art, and have art in the classroom
    every week, not just once a Month at our schools in the Portland Metro area.
    I am an Art Lit Volunteer for
    grade schools McKay in Beaverton, and at
    Voss Elementary in Beaverton Oregon.
    I have 4 class rooms a Month, but would
    love to be able to do it every day.

14. Cat Crowley says:

Hello,

I’m sort of new to all of this so I’m not sure if this is the proper forum to bring this up. I’m a senior at Westview High School located in San Diego, CA. I have participated in my school’s theatre program for all four years and have garnered a great appreciation, not just for theatre, but for all of the performing arts at my school. Last year, in response to the California budget cuts, I helped put together our school’s first ever arts showcase (featuring our Band, Theatre, Choir, and Dance programs) to help raise some money for the theater facility. The admission was free but we ended up raising around $1400. This year the budget cuts in California are going to remove over half of the teachers at our school and this may include our Choir teacher and our Dance teacher. The way I understand it, teachers will be moved around from different schools to fill the places at my school. But I know that there is a very likely chance that both of those programs will suffer without the guidance of those teachers. I know no amount of money we can earn in this year’s showcase can keep them at the school. I am looking for some advice or some help so that I, and my fellow students, do not feel like we just stood by and allowed two passionate teachers be removed from their jobs.

Next year I will be continuing my education at New York University as a theatre major. Had I not been a part of theatre in high school, I never would have realized my passion and my calling in life. All of the people I know involved in the arts programs have benefitted, and I want to know what we can do to help, not just our schools, but other schools. What can the students do? I know there a lot of seniors in our theatre program and most of them have turned 18 by now. What do we vote on? What postions can we take? What events do we attend? Because we know this is important and we want to be a part of it.

Please let me know what you think. And I apologize if this isn’t the sort of feedback you were looking for but I thank you for your time none-the-less. I appreciate everything you’re doing and I think this is a really great thing!

~Cat Crowley

15. Hi, John,

Glad to hear you’re down in SD. Given the recession and the current status of arts education funding in California, here are my recommended recession strategies:

1. BE PROACTIVE & PROTECTIVE. Keep up pressure on the School Board to protect the Arts Block Grant in the district budget. Although the legislature has put this categorical fund in Tier III (i.e., districts can move ALL of it into another pot), any shift in this fund warrants very careful consideration by school boards because, unlike many other categoricals, this one serves ALL students in a school district rather than a select subgroup.

2. BE AT THE TABLE. Make sure that the arts continue to be represented during critical decisions at the school board, district administration, and school site levels. The visual and performing arts are an adopted course of study in our state, with an excellent framework and standards, and are required to be taught K-12.

3. BE ORGANIZED & VISIBLE. Keep the arts program on the front burner during the budget crisis by creating or continuing to convene the district’s arts task force, and maintaining the existing arts infrastructure. Keep visibility and momentum moving forward by refining the district’s strategic plan for the arts to include phases that reflect the foreseeable resources. Continue to collect and report data on the district’s existing arts programs, and maintain and cultivate new community partnerships to explore future program opportunities. With a solid plan and relationships in hand, the district arts program will be well positioned when the Tier III restrictions are lifted.

4. BE HEARD IN SACRAMENTO. Keep up the pressure on the Governor and state legislators regarding the Tier III status of the Arts Block Grant. Pending the outcome of the May 19th election and the May Revise of the state budget, there may be an opportunity to make the case (once again) that the Arts Block Grant should be shifted up and out of Tier III. This fund serves ALL students statewide, and enables schools to make significant strides toward compliance with EXISTING state policies for visual and performing arts instruction (currently 9 in 10 schools do NOT comply!).

5. BE INFORMED. Subscribe to ArtsEdMail, the biweekly e-newsletter of the California Alliance for Arts Education. http://www.artsed411.org

Okay, I think those are the key things I’d recommend to folks in California.

All the best,
    Dana

16. Mark Mannette says:

The arts are as essential to a complete education as reading, science, and math. They may be more difficult to assess in standardized testing, but they stimulate students to succeed in all aspects of life including the subjects deemed most important. Imagine great civilizations, such as ancient Athens, without the influence of the arts. Where would we be without their contributions in all other subjects as well? An education without the arts would leave all the children behind.

17. Janis Williams says:

I helped do research in order to have my mothers painting by Gerhard Munthe of Norway appraised – a fjord. I also published (32 books, but plan to do another dozen soon) about my step-grandmothers life and artwork: JO LEE RODKE (most of her art involvement was in Oklahoma and Arizona, but she also taught classes in Colorado, and either taught or took classes in Mexico, and Taos NM.

18. Andrew Dodson says:

Well, where I go to school, we use strictly three things: Blocks for set, stock costumes, and for musicals, student orchestra, or merely a pianist depending on the size of the production.

That cuts down on costs majorly! Also, we encourage original works from students, teachers, alumni. Take for example, http://pitchfork.com/news/34956-amanda-palmer-to-feature-in-high-school-play-inspired-by-neutral-milk-hotel/. Amanda Palmer, amazing musician and theatrician, is going back to her hometown school.

Also, encourage more emotionally and psychologically challenging works such as the one read above. Less cotton candy and more steak will encourage more students to participate, which also means more intake in terms of fees that the students must contribute per school.

Be daring, because Bye Bye Birdie is NOT art, but Threepenny Opera is, if you know what I mean. And be cheap, innovation and creativity are bred out of limitations. Limitations means fiscally-cheaper productions, meaning that we can all adapt to budget cuts if we encourage more challenging works with more limitations and more talented and qualified teachers who are, say it with me, organized, ready, knowledgeable, preparing all kids as if they are going to study hardcore at Juilliard or RADA even if they are not.

Theatre isn’t a simple way to take care of extra units, its an education and a way of life. Let’s treat it that way.

19. Hello John, love all great input. You have a great champion in MacEwan on Facebook. Regrding recession strategies, from a fundraiser’s & parent’s point of view, entire school communities NEED to make a very vocal stand & change the entire process from the bottom up.

1) Instead of overpriced cookie (see diabetes epidemic) and school picture (see grossly overpriced) fundraising -take digital pictures with a volunteer camera – incorporate those pics into art lessons, collages, shirts, calendars, button making, key fobs, etc, too many visual arts projects too list – all far cheaper than school photographer & healthier than cookies.

2) self publish school arts – 2-d visual prints, lyrics, cd & DVD publishing for music, plays, a zillion low cost & FREE online tools avaialable. ie. selling calendars w school artwork, poems & song lyrics, add a few local sponsors per page for additional funds from local business, create community involvement.

3) host a gallery night at school, sell prints, originals, 3-d artsuch as sculptures, cd’s dvd’s for performing arts- make the admission a donation to the arts fund or pay it forward with non-perishables for a local food kitchen.

4) ignore fundraising fatigue- don’t stop asking for donations of dollars and art supplies, musical equipment – ask parents to keep eyes open at yard sales gage sales or in New England “Flea Markets”

5) Schools MUST begin to employ passive fundraisng such as cash back online malls, magazines & local vendor incentives ( ie Tuesday Night is MySchools Night @ Joes Restaurant -10% of purchase goes to MySchool) to school shoppers. In lieu of harder to get donations, benefit from the shopping habits of the donor base the affiliate model. They already shop online, buy magazines & buy locally.

Sorry to be so wordy, i am more than happy to help any school w/ free fundraising sites -free site development & free hosting http://iHostSchools.com

Greg

20. Amy Bounds says:

My background: I am a stay at home mom of two girls. One is now in kindergarten this year. I have had a love for the arts all my life. I took a lot of art classes in college, but never graduated with a degree. I also have taken many community arts classes, pottery, painting, sculpture, etc.. I have been trying to give my girls as much art education as I can.

My idea for arts in the schools despite our recession is this: VOLUNTEERS. What I am thinking is this…Why don’t we have an after school arts program or even an in school arts program that people like me can volunteer to do. I know I would gladly teach a class, it’s something I love to do anyway. Yes, I don’t have a degree in teaching, but I do have knowledge, as I’m sure many others would have too. If a school could find enough volunteers, they could rotate, each with different talents teaching different weeks, painting, sculpting, pottery, performance arts, art history, etc. If the teacher was volunteering, that’s most of the cost, the rest, art supplies, etc. could be covered by donations, or maybe some fund raisers.

We have an after school arts program now, but you have to pay for it. It’s through an outside company, so the teacher gets paid. The drawback is most kids can’t afford to go to this. It’s about $65 for 4 weeks, one day a week for one hour after school.

It saddens me that so many of the arts have been taken out of our schools, or skimmed way down. It’s through the arts that our children learn to cultivate and utilize their imaginations and creativity. I believe this makes for a much happier and fufilled adulthood, not to mention more interesting! :)

Well, that’s my 2 cents. I hope you are successful in your meetings and we can get the focus that is needed on arts in the schools.

Good luck,
    Sincerely,
    Amy Bounds

21. Request donations of old musical instruments from students and parents, even if they need small repairs. It’s cheaper to pay for a small repair then to buy new. Request a bulk discount on the repairs from a local music shop, telling them about your cause. *smile*

Strength Through Unity,

Julian aKa CCG Pop Superhero

http://CookieCutterGirl.com (SITE)
    http://InnerSuperhero.net (BLOG)
    http://VelvetChokers.com (JEWELRY)

22. Victoria says:

Some ideas I could propose to help with the art recession are the following:

- colloborate with restaurants, night spots, education
    (High school, college), bookstore, art galleries to sell and show art
    - have paid art classes at community centers,YMCA, bookstore
    - have a dinner to support the arts
    - connect to the community around you in a meaningful, remorable way
    - have a art show or fair
    - find ways to connect to art on a continual basis (seasonal, economic, social, etc way)
    - start an art contest with prizes (money, art, etc)

23. Jennifer Ziegler says:

Considering you can create a whole lot of art using merely recycled and free materials, I think using volunteers is an easy and inexpensive way to give kids extra time to create.

24. Kelly Powers says:

There’s a school in Seattle that uses additional money earmarked for class size reduction to pay for art teachers.
    It works something like this…Say they are two 1st grade classes of 24 kids each (48 total First Graders) During Reading time 12 kids from each class go to art, while the other 12 stay for more individualized reading instruction. This is brilliant and could be used during math time too.

25. Vi Gerbrandt says:

With the many changes happening locally and globally with education, as well as the recession……it is imperative that children and people of all ages are able to find expression. I appreciate so much the many varied forms of expression that come from passionate souls – to make a difference in the lives of the young as well as old. I believe that more inter-generational healing art is required in this age. The young must connect with the old….for a more peaceful world…..

26. Joan Boyce says:

This has been good to hear. I originally went to college to become an art teacher. Long story, didn’t do it. I do believe that art is an important part of who we are and should never be cut from our lives. I stand with you to make sure that all children have the opportunity to discover the creativity within themselves.

27. This may be a little left field, but for districts looking to secure alternative arts funding, Oneness has developed a strong model for using the arts, and particularly music as a tool to promote racial tolerance and diversity. The model is such that it can be modified to address issues ranging from intolerance based on sexual orientation, religion or physical handicap as well. Email me for more info @ organiksol@gmail.com

28. Alexandria Smith says:

student art shows can help raise money, submission should be voluntary.

29. Keith Howard Seymour says:

You asked for ideas on recession proof strategies for “Art in the schools.”

I have a strategy that should be used not only during recessions but at all times.

How about encouraging schools and school districts to utilize more local artists. I am former substitue teacher of 10 years and a local writer,poet , and short story writer, and I am shocked a simple grammatical rules, not to mention the lack of understanding simple concepts such as what a similie or metaphor or personification

These things are teacher guide books but rarely explained to students in a manner that they are able to give you simple examples.

An example of this is a class that I taught for a week at local middle school. A 5th grade class had been studying poetry and vrious aspects of recognizing and giving an example of personification.

These students who were about to be tested on this at the end of the following week. I began but explaining to this 5th grade class that personification is giving a human quality. Even after I used the example that wilber the pig in the movie charlotte’s web was an example, because pigs can not speak, dance and sing, many of these students still had trouble grasping it.

The teacher although quite thankful for my efforts, also admitted that it would never have occurred to her to use this as an example.

By the way, this was national blue ribbon school, in the Columbia, South Carolina area.

Simply pay a local artist (writer dancer, musician, etc) a small stipend to come in a couple times week to assist in teaching these topics, and even have students put together a project in which it would be graded.

30. Gina jarvi says:

As Mr. Seymour suggested, keeping arts education local is extremely valuable. I founded a small arts education organization here in Minnesota, that served the Twin Cities region and operated on small city grants, small regional arts grants, affordable fees to social service organizations, and high quality arts programming that paid local artists to be art mentors to youth after school. We established neighborhood youth arts programs and hired neighborhood artists to work in these programs. We went into the schools and provided exciting and creative programming. The money ran out.

Paying for quality arts programs should not cost an arm and a leg. If you localize the dollars and offer more community arts grants to smaller organizations, you will get more bang for your dollar.
    New Orleans was just featured on the news last night about a local musician that started a marching band for students who were getting into trouble and failing in school. A 95% success rate. All students raised their grades by at least one grade point. One man with a mission. Seek us out. There are many of us competing with larger more established and richer organizations for small amounts of dollars that smaller organizations use more efficiently. We don’t have the overhead, nor the complicated financial structures that end up eating much of the money raised.
    Seek out the local organizations, talk to them, observe them, support them!

31. Rachael says:

I am one of Merryl’s students at California State University San Marcos. In her class we as teacher candidates, learn how to integrate the arts into the core curriculum. Whether it is painting, dancing, singing, theatre, music etc. there is a way to encompass it within the basic subjects, you just have to be creative! I am thoroughly enjoying this class, because I have wanted to find ways to do such a thing for a while now, and this class has opened my eyes to the easy access and excitement that a simple touch of the arts can bring to a dull lesson. It has given me hope as a future teacher that even though we are required to teach specific content, we can do so in a way that engages our students, and makes these children want to come to school and learn. School should be fun, and integrating the arts does that for children.

32. PianoDraft says:

PianoDraft…

Thanks heaps for this!… if anyone else has anything, it would be much appreciated. Great website HOT Pianoforte Links http://www.de.Grand-Pianos.org Enjoy!…

33. No gastando las palabras superfluas.

34. diesel says:

Aquí en realidad la farsa, por que esto

35. [...] Merryl Goldberg ,  a Professor of Visual and Performing Arts at California State University San Marcos (CSUSM), penned the above in an Open Letter to San Diego School District. [...]

36. Pat says:

I know with just how bad your weather is outdoors appropriate now im not getting started on any tasks such as this, anytime soon. Also visit my website; Clothes Dryer Fuse [Pat]